Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Picture of Health

Somehow or other, I have become one of five finalists in the Prevention Magazine/ABC "Picture of Health" competition. ( http://blogs.abcnews.com/picturefinalists/ ) This unusual competition is geared for women over 40 who have had health and other life challenges but who feel they are now the "Picture of Health." We had to write an essay and send a video to enter and people get to vote online until May 28th.

I'm still wondering how the heck I, with my little sore back and hurt knee, got in there with women who had real health challenges. Who thinks that pinched nerves and torn ligaments measure up to heart troubles, breast cancer or brain surgery?

It was my buddy and co-worker Jean who pointed out that my picture of health might be a bit more universal. Perhaps people who may not have had extreme health crises can still relate to other kinds of challenges. Maybe they can relate to getting older and still being alone, to losing a home, to financial problems, to depression--to the kinds of things that life insists on throwing at most of us. Perhaps they can understand looking up in shock one day and realizing, "oh my God, this is not where I thought I'd be! This is not my dream!."

Certainly overcoming physical challenges can be daunting, but so can facing mental and spiritual obstacles. What do you do on the day you realize your memory isn't what it used to be and will never be again? Where do you turn when you've prayed and prayed and listened and waited and prayed some more and no one seems to be listening? There are all kinds of good and bad health. Or ease and dis-ease as some call it.

So maybe I snuck into that select group of amazing women to bring the message from Everywoman: You can overcome, you can survive. If life throws lemons your way, pick those suckers up and lob 'em right back. When in doubt, laugh then dance then laugh while dancing. Make faces at a baby. Fill your mouth with whipped cream and recite Shakespeare, kiss your mirror and tell you how wonderful you are. Join me with the hula hoop (get one that lights up!) Meditate, pray, be one with nature. Learn to laugh again. Choose to be happy.

Now that's healthy.

No comments: